Autofocus Problems With Sony RX10 IV

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dadepfan
dadepfan New Member • Posts: 13
Autofocus Problems With Sony RX10 IV

Hello everyone - I recently joined, and this is my first post.

I have been using my Sony RX10 IV for more than a year now, and although I love the camera, I have been increasingly frustrated with not being able to get my pictures in focus. It's not so much a problem of where the focusing is being done (what part of the picture) but nothing being completely in focus.

I have had this problem using all sorts of modes, including auto, scene, and aperture priority, and with various auto focus settings. Often the picture looks OK in the camera's view screen, but when I bring the RAW files into software for post-processing (I use On1 Photo RAW 2020), the focus problems show up. Sometimes the image looks in focus, but zooming the view in reveals most or all parts of the image are out of focus.

I am certainly not an expert photographer, and I am not blaming the camera (I have a friend that uses the same camera without problems), but maybe there is something wrong with my particular camera.

So, as a test I have used the camera's "Reset Settings" menu choice to put all the settings back to what they are when the camera comes from the factory. The only setting I have changed is to set the quality to RAW. I then turned the mode dial to "Auto" and went outside to take a picture of the front of my house with the lens retracted to the 24mm wide angle setting. I then went inside and took a picture of my living room where there is less light, also at the wide angle setting. I let the camera choose all the other settings.

I am attaching JPG files that were exported from the raw files at full size and with no processing.

Although both these images look OK at full size, zooming in the view begins to reveal a little bit of out of focus, and zooming in further looks even worse.

Maybe I'm just being a perfectionist?  Or, shouldn't the focus remain sharp for a certain amount of zooming the view in?  I have had a lot of my pictures rejected at stock photo sites because of out-of-focus problems.

I appreciate any comments or ideas.  Should I have the camera checked out for problems?

ISO 100, 1/640, F/4

ISO 200 1/30 F/2.4

dadepfan's gear list:dadepfan's gear list
Sony RX10 IV +1 more
Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow