Revised: You need four or five long zooms!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Booted Cat
Booted Cat Senior Member • Posts: 1,037
Revised: You need four or five long zooms!

(Nikon, Panasonic and Sony should pay me big for this write-up...)

A small-sensor long zoom is good for:

• On-tripod stationary-target photography: This is where the P900/P950/P1000 excels. Just use P Mode, ISO 100 and an ML-L7 remote. My numerous photos demonstrated that.
  • Handheld stationary-target photography (good light): (Note: I use a pocket camera as a "handheld" example here, as I don't find bridge/DSLR cameras easy for handholding.) This is where the A1000 excels. Just use P Mode, ISO 100. In good light, the P Mode-determined shutter speed is fast enough to cancel camera shake. (If you don't mind the extra size/weight of a bridge superzoom, the P900/P950/P1000 works just as fine for this category.)

A large-sensor long zoom is good for:

• Handheld stationary-target photography (low light): (Note: I use pocket cameras as "handheld" examples here, as I don't find bridge/DSLR cameras easy for handholding.) The ZS200 may excel in this field - in low light, ISO 800 still provides good IQ and a fast enough shutter speed for handholding. A potential alternative is to take an ISO 800 photo with a small-sensor pocket superzoom (e.g. the SX740 HS) and resize it to a smaller size to cancel noise.
  • Action photography (or "on-tripod/handheld moving-target photography"): This essentially covers everything else not covered in the previous three categories, such as fast dancing, sports, BIF. These are where the RX10M4 and RX100M7 excel - they seem to be tailored exactly for this field (for example, the RX100M7 sacrifices a longer focal length for a faster lens compared to the ZS200).
 Booted Cat's gear list:Booted Cat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon PowerShot SX740 HS Nikon Coolpix A1000
Nikon Coolpix A1000 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P950 Panasonic ZS200 Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VII
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow