I got a good one

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
nonproshooterdad Contributing Member • Posts: 650
I got a good one

After some tests I am very happy with this lens. Now I understand why Luis Gabriel was so happy with his.

Before I purchased this lens, I was balancing between Samyang and Sigma, and looked at all reviews that contain measurements, like lenstip, opticallimits, etc, the impression is that Sigma is sharper in the center and also in the corners. I also researched on Dpreview discussions, especially Luis Gabriel loudly shouting that this is better than Zeiss.

I got the Samyang because it's shorter and lighter than Sigma FE mount. I considered copy variance was bigger than brand variance. And I believed real users better than the reviewers. Reviewers stand for something else like the reputation of business, or the industry consideration. They might have to be careful when choosing the review copy. Real users just said what they observed.

My test is only comparing my other two primes, Samyang AF 85/1.4 and Sony 55/1.8. I only care for wide open because I use the lens mostly wide open.

At the center, this lens is sharper than Sony 55mm and Samyang 85mm. At the crop corners, the lens is better than both other lenses. Full frame corners, it's equals to 85mm.

After some real uses, I am pretty sure I got a gem. Its better than Sigma 35/1.4 art in Canon. And it's good at all the frame.

Can you expect that a $600 35/1.4 is so good? I can't imagine that until I got one. I can repeat Luis Gabriel statement for the lens, you pay $600 and get a lens better than $1500 one.

nonproshooterdad's gear list:nonproshooterdad's gear list
Sony a7R III Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +12 more
Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 FE / Rokinon AF 35mm F1.4 FE
Prime lens • Sony FE • IO3514-E
Announced: Oct 10, 2017
nonproshooterdad's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow