800mm f/11 on the EOS R . . . First impressions

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Terry Danks Regular Member • Posts: 124
800mm f/11 on the EOS R . . . First impressions

Lens arrived today.

I have read a lot of things about this lens . . . most from people who don't have it and much from people who perhaps have expectations that are not completely reasonable.

I come at this lens from the perspective of one who has used both a Canon EF600 f/4.0L IS (v.1) and an ED800 f/5.6 Nikkor for several years.

My R5 has not arrived so I am using it on The R, never praised as a stellar auto focuser.

Yes, it AFs, even on The R . . . rather slowly. I tried it in good light but my subject was not in direct sun. I did not experience anything resembling a hopeless situation with AF but it does not "snap" into focus as do almost all other Canon lenses I've ever used.

IQ seems very good. If anything, better than I hoped for!

It is as light as a the proverbial feather! Lighter than it looks! When I first picked up the box from the mailman, I thought "is it empty?" Of course it is plastic and has few elements and those of small diameter. No diaphragm mechanism.  Perfectly all right to carry the camera and lens by the usual spot on the camera hand grip. It is NOT going to do havoc to the lens mount!

I have felt that some are being unreasonable in their expectations . . . . or just delight in pointing out the limitations of just about everything.

Is it "reasonable" to expect this fixed aperture, f/11 lens to duplicate all the capabilities of its $13,000 big brothers? The question is rhetorical. 

I dunn'o about birds in flight. Seems a tall order for both the narrow FOV of 800mm and f/11! I am sure people will try and will have some pleasing results but I won't damn the lens if it has a low success rate in this very challenging endeavor.

I also have my doubts as to the "reasonableness" of expecting to tack an extender onto it.

All I can really add is "if you haven't tried it, don't knock it!" I sure wish I had had this thing 50 years ago! "The pictures I could have gotten!" 

Terry Danks's gear list:Terry Danks's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM +4 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow