28-70 F/2 or 24-105 F/4?

Started Aug 6, 2020 | Discussions thread
RLight Senior Member • Posts: 3,233
Re: 28-70 F/2 or 24-105 F/4?

I've shot both, and own the RF 28-70 f/2L.

They both have good IQ and rendering, which they should both being L lenses. Neither is a slouch.

What it really comes down to is size, price and convencinece.

I'll say this though: The RF 28-70 f/2L is unique in being the only f/2 standard zoom lens on the market. It affords immense creativity on demand where no lens swap, but access to f/2.

It's not about IQ at all, it's about creative options, without having to swap a lens.

Often times I'll shoot something at say 70mm, and then realize, you know what, I want a 28 or 35mm perspective. Likewise, often I'll shoot something at f/2, and then via DOF preview, decide I want f/2.8 instead.

With the 24-105 f/4L, your creativity is limited to f/4. But, you don't have to lug around 3lbs of glass, or pay for it.

I wouldn't focus on IQ, I'd focus on what depth of field and creativity you want.

Also consider, low light potential differences. The R5 is no slouch, nor is the R or R6, but f/2 is f/2 and f/4 is f/4 in terms of absorbing 4x more light.

If you're a big event photographer, or like shooting event/candids the 28-70 f/2L is highly recommended. The RF 24-105 f/4L is also very capable, but if you're not shooting faster than f/4, the 28-70 f/2L, goes to waste.

Side note, I'm a former EF 24-105 f/4L (first gen) owner. I personally didn't find it too lacking, other than it's IS wasn't very good. The RF flavor is sharp as a tack, silent focusing and strong IS. But, it's still f/4 in terms of both low light and bokeh potential. It's also cheap compared to the 28-70 f/2L...

The elephant in the room is still the elephant in the room. Cost, size and weight.

IQ isn't very different between these lenses. Creative capability though, are in vastly different leagues, but then again, so is the price, and weight, at the risk of repeating myself.

BTW, I'm not focusing heavily on weight or size, as my personal opinion, is "Goliath", that is my R + RF 28-70 f/2L, which stays bolted on 90+% of the time, needs a "David" to go with it. I carry my G5X II most places but bring "Goliath" along when I want something annihilated 

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS R Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow