Youtube poisoning?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
techjedi
techjedi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,950
Your habits vs channel fans.

Light Pilgrim wrote:

Are you not wondering how is it that people have so much to say on youtube about pretty much nothing? Last 2 weeks I was doing too much research on R5 and what I realized is how much irrelevant, repeated information is out there. I amazes me that people always think that their opinion matters even though they know that the same thing has been discussed and is available on-line already. I think you have 5% of content that is unique and the rest is unboxing. How many unboxing videos you need on-line for the same camera?

You might view many videos on the R5 to gather as much information as possible. So you visit lots of channels and find they are all regurgitating the same information you already got a forum or a press release. You are not there to be entertained by their personality, so it seems like a waste of your time to keep hearing the same thing over and over again.

Other people however are followers/fans of particular channels and don't watch every video they can find. They go to those channels to get their photography information in general. Those videos, for them, will be the first time they hear that information. Those fans/followers would find it highly irregular for their favorite photography channel to not do a video simply because the information was already out there on other channels.

It is not just this, but I seriously have a feeling that folks do not have anybody to talk to so they turn their cameras on and broadcast how they day went on-line and why they are angry and what they deserve better:-)

I think that is the point of Youtube vlogging and the reason it is successful. Content has a personality and a lot of people enjoy it. You don't. That's fine too.

I think that we live in an age where protecting the mind is the most difficult and most needed skill that people need to possess. There is just too much info that is useless.

Protecting the mind? I think its a stretch to say that watching a vlogger give a personalized review intermixed with anecdotes about their daily grind is somehow damaging to the mind.

I think we live in an age where there are so many content creators enabling people to find content tailored to their unique preferences. I think this is an improvement over my childhood when channels carried the least common denominator and you had to set a recording or tune in at a specific time just to see content that you preferred.

techjedi's gear list:techjedi's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony RX100 Sony a6500 +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jnd
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow