Rolling Shutter VS FPS confusion

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 20,772
Re: Rolling Shutter VS FPS confusion

Currantos wrote:

Could you tell me about the pre-capture facility, I never heard of that and never heard of 50-60 fps, how is that activated and what cameras have it? Top FPS I heard is 20 from A9.

20 fps is with continuous AF.  A lot of mirrorless cameras can shoot at 50-60 fps with AF and exposure locked on the first frame.  It is clearly only useful if you are able to shoot a burst without moving the focus.

Pre-capture is a variation on this and has been around for 15 years or more, but has made a comeback recently.  It is called different things on different cameras and is used extensively (without you knowing about it) on camera phones.  Typically, you set the fps rate that you want (which will mean fixed focus if you want over 20 fps) and the number of frames that you want to capture, say 25.  When you push and hold down the shutter half way, the camera starts capturing images.  When you push it the whole way down, it saves the last 25 images and continues shooting at 50 fps until the buffer is full.

I have only used it once, trying to get a killer whale breach, and took 600 frames in 4 minutes - without getting a breach shot!

The other way that you can shoot at high fps rates with a camera that supports 4K/60 fps video is to shoot video and extract the frames that you want.  4K gives you 8MP images.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow