X Marks the Loony Grebes

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Phocal
Phocal Veteran Member • Posts: 3,117
X Marks the Loony Grebes

A few weeks back I took the X out to a local lake in search of Grebes and Loons.  These first two I took while sitting on the steep bank of the lake.

I prefer shooting at eye level of my subject and doing that with the swivel screen on the X is much harder than if they had went with the tilt screen of the original EM1.  The bank was to steep to lay at the edge so I had to use the rear LCD while holding the camera above the water.  But following a moving bird on the water with a screen that is not in line with the lens is way harder than if it is in line.  This stupid swivel screen is my only real complaint of the X.

When I got around to this rocky beach I did find a Loon.  The first photo I took while sitting but leaning forward to get a lower perspective and the second photo is while laying on the beach.

I went back a few days later but this time I had my packraft with me, as well as the Little Tuna (aka Olympus ZD 150mm f2.0).  I just got the packraft and this was my first time to use it and a good test of using it as a photography platform.

Kokopelli Nirvana Spraydeck

I did determine that it will work for those backcountry alpine lakes but it is way different from using a kayak.  It will spin and turn while on the water, which makes photographing moving birds even more difficult.  This was also the first time to use one of my 4/3 lenses on the X.

I will say that the X is a significant improvement over my original EM1 when it comes to focus speed of 4/3 lenses.  Because the raft was spinning and moving so much that it was difficult keeping the focus point on my subject I am not ready to comment on focus accuracy while CAF with 4/3 lenses.  But I will say I was pretty impressed with the number of in focus images I did get using the 150 given the tough shooting conditions I was in.  Here are a couple of shots from out on the water in the raft.

This young one didn't want the fish.

The second one did.  The young one behind the adult is the one in the photo above after the adult moved to the other one with the food.

So far I am loving the X and don't regret keeping it despite the recent news, could have returned it after the announcement.  It really is the camera I have wanted Olympus to make.

As always, comments and questions welcomed.

Phocal

Phocal's gear list:Phocal's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +6 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow