A Walk with the 16-80 - Testing the Ends of the Focal Range

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dm333 Regular Member • Posts: 199
A Walk with the 16-80 - Testing the Ends of the Focal Range

I'm still in the process of deciding whether I want to stick with the 16-80 for the long term. I haven't shot enough images of the type I care about to make a decision yet. However, with fall coming soon in New England I'll be doing a lot more shooting with it. Last night I took a wee stroll up one of our mountains and decided to shoot some photos at 16mm and 80mm where the lens is weakest. I figured I'd post them here for those interested.

Note: it was windy so don't expect the grass to be sharp

16mm, handheld. The 4x5 crop cuts out the top and bottom edges.

16mm, handheld, trying to stand steady despite a stiff breeze. Plenty of rocks out to the edges to get an idea of how quickly the sharpness drops off.

80mm, handheld, just looking for some detail on the slides on the distant ridges.

80mm, handheld. Buildings in the center give some idea of sharpness in the center of the frame and the ski trails show dropoff toward the edge of the frame.

The alpine grass lights up just a few minutes prior to sunset! One of my favorite displays in this part of the world! 16mm, on a tripod.

My favorite from the evening. 16mm, on a tripod.

My brief evaluation: 16mm is interesting in that the center is generally very sharp, but the falloff toward the edges happens fairly rapidly. Edges/corners are uninspiring but is probably sufficiently good for most purposes. It certainly doesn't "wow" me.

80mm has reasonable sharpness in the middle and gets fairly weak toward the edges. Again, it is uninspiring but maybe sufficiently good.

Testing to continue on another day...

dm333's gear list:dm333's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow