Nikon 20mm f 1.8 S notes from the field

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sjstremb
sjstremb Contributing Member • Posts: 554
Nikon 20mm f 1.8 S notes from the field

In the middle of the pandemic lockdown I made what I called a pandemic inpluse purchase of a shinny new 20mm 1.8 S, not that I thought I really needed one, I already had the 24mm  and a 14-30 S lenses but I thought, this summer I'm planning on being along the New England coast line and I like using wide angle landscape stuff, so why not.

I've been here in the R.I. beach house two weeks now and having shot with both the 14-30 and the 20 1.8 I can tell you I have decided I did not need to buy the 20mm, in fact the 14-30 the way I use it (usually stopped down to f8) on my Z7 it seems the files are less distorted and the images for sure no sharper than the prime 20mm. Even at the most recent dusk shoot at 5.6 the images are not that much better than what I might expect from a prime vs a zoom. Perhaps this speaks more to the images I am getting from the 14-30. Now do not get me wrong its not like its a bad lens but perhaps its more a reflection of how good some of these Nikon f4 S zooms are.

Beavertail Point, Jamestown, R.I.

sjstremb's gear list:sjstremb's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon D850 +19 more
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow