I owe birdkind an apology

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AlwynS Senior Member • Posts: 3,450
I owe birdkind an apology

I have often declared on this forum and other places that birds are really totally inconsiderate of my hopes and wishes as they i) never stay put and they ii) never pose in a nice position/setting. This morning I came across a Barred owl that restored my faith in birds as it was incredibly accommodating and presented numerous poses/opportunities for me:

1. At first it was sitting in a close and pretty but rather difficult position in less than great light and with some twigs in the way. But then it allowed me to come a lot closer and take these photographs:

2. Then it flew off, trying (unsuccessfully!) to catch a mouse… and landed in sunshine on an open branch! This allowed me to get these shots:

3. Recognising that it was sitting against a rather bright sky with its back towards me, it then most kindly flew around and landed in an even better position with its front facing the sunshine! I mean, how helpful is that??!! Images in this position:

4. And then finally, to give me an opportunity in a different setting, it flew down and landed very low down (just about exactly at eye level!) next to a little stream!

The owl was sufficiently close that six of the above images are cropped to 3840 x 2160 (4K resolution) while the others are still the full original 5472 width, only cropped vertically  to 3078 to 16:9 aspect ratio at 16.8MP. Uploaded at those resolutions and I think worth the trouble to view at original size.

Including a 35 minute walk there and a 35 minute walk back I got back home with around 225 photographs about an hour and a half after I left: isn’t that just incredible?

Just a great morning for me: very grateful.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Sony RX10 IV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow