New (?) Olympus vs Panasonic 100-400 info

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
mount evans
mount evans Regular Member • Posts: 344
Re: New (?) Olympus vs Panasonic 100-400 info

Astrotripper wrote:

mount evans wrote:

For Olympus to equip the 100-400mm zoom with OIS, but not make that OIS compatible with the IBIS, sounds like quite a gaffe.

Do you mean the fact it does not support 5-axis Sync-IS? Yes, it sucks. Having that would be amazing for video.

However, it does support operation of IBIS and OIS together for improved performance. It's just not as robust as Sync-IS. Sync-IS fully utilizes 5-axis IBIS and adds the 2-axis correction by the lens on top (so both IBIS and OIS correct yaw and pitch together). Here, OIS corrects yaw and pitch and IBIS corrects the roll.

I have never heard of OIS and IBIS "partially" working together.  Everything I have read made it sound like either the lens IS and the body IS are meant to work together in your camera brand's trademark-named system, or you have to decide which one of them to turn off to prevent them from fighting with each other and making things worse.  I keep reading that their are only two lenses with OIS--the M.Zuiko 12-100mm and the M.Zuiko 300mm--for which Olympus users do not have to make this decision.

But then, until now, those were the only two Olympus lenses with OIS.

So, can you point me to any documentation of this third situation, OIS and IBIS "sort of" working together?

-- hide signature --

My pictures: flickr.com/mount_evans/albums

mount evans's gear list:mount evans's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow