Intentional Color Corrections Planned for Display in Ambient Light

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Forum Pro • Posts: 13,119
Re: Intentional Color Corrections Planned for Display in Ambient Light

Barry Twycross wrote:

My colour calibrator has a step for measuring the ambient light, and it makes a different to the profile it produces for the screen.

If I want to make sure the printing house has printed my prints correctly, I have to use the right screen profile for the right ambient light, or I'm thinking the printing house has screwed up again.

From that, I assume you could make a profile which would make a print look like what you wanted in whatever lighting you wanted. However, most people probably expect things to looks suitably weird in weird lighting, so your print which looked correct would then be perceived as very weird. I doubt it's worth trying.

A monitor should be calibrated to the ambient light.  The monitor does not reflect the ambient light, it generates light.  Something that should appear neutral gray on the monitor needs to match the ambient light.
On the other hand a paper print reflects the ambient light.  A neutral grey sheet of paper naturally matches the ambient light, and so our minds see neutral grey.
This is a general rule.  Clearly there are exceptions.  You can have light that varies dramatically from a black body source.  In that case, the mind may not fully compensate.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow