Post Production Software - Focus Point

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 15,507
Re: Post Production Software - Focus Point

MadMax1412 wrote:

I currently have AfterShot Pro 3 for editing but I found that with my Sony A6400 and Sony 18-105 F4 lens, there is some bowing, even with lens correction turned on. In fact, there appears to be no change in the photo.

Could you upload a couple of samples for us to look at?

There are some cases where distortion changes with focus distance, and your software may only adjust for distant focus.

What are people's suggestion regarding an out-right purchase (ie not subscription based) editing software package for someone like me who is a hobbyist. Dx0, Luminar 4, Capture One, or something else?

DxO has excellent lens corrections, and I've used PTLens for years.

Some software has manual distortion correction, where you can correct for barrel or pincushion distortion even without a built-in lens correction profile. My Adobe software has this manual correction. This does not work for "mustache" distortion however, which is a more complex, wavy distortion.

Also, is there software which will show the focus point? I get home and look at my photos and the eyes seem slightly soft yet I'm sure I had eye auto focus on, plus I do mid-burst photos (4 or 5 shots). In some YouTube videos I watched prior to buying this camera and lens setup at Christmas 2019, photos were sharp around the eyes and you could clearly see the lines in the coloured part of the eyes.

Nikon software shows the focus points for Nikon cameras, but Adobe—and the other raw processors I use—don't show focus points. Is there some native Sony software you can use to see if it has this feature?

There are a number of reasons why your images may not be sharp:

• If the lighting was low and the image underexposed, digital noise could overwhelm any sharpness, making it unclear.
  • Your aperture is opened up too far, making depth of field too shallow, or lens aberrations might be rather strong as well, increasing softness.
  • "Focus and recompose", where you use the center focus point for focusing, but then you move the camera to recompose the shot; this might cause you to change the focus distance. 
  • Camera shake or subject motion might make it soft.
  • Insufficient sharpening of the image, either in-camera or in your image editing software. 

Again, you can upload a couple of examples for us to look at.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow