Rolling Shutter VS FPS confusion

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Greybeard2017
Greybeard2017 Senior Member • Posts: 1,444
Re: Rolling Shutter VS FPS confusion

Currantos wrote:

So I am a little confused.

Silent shooting/electronic shutter is supposed to have worse/worst rolling shutter effect than mechanical. So the recommendation is to avoid it for fast moving objects.

For fast moving objects the recommendation is to use highest possible FPS to catch that best moment in an action sequence. Electronic shutter allows for higher FPS so one would switch to that.

? Conflict?

So which is it? Avoid it due to rolling shutter or use it to get the FPS?

Natural light situation?

Continuous stage/regular lights?

Advice on shooting athletes or a dance performance on stage? I want high FPS but I don't want rolling shutter. Looking for advice from mirrorless users that can choose from full mechanical, full electronic or EFCS which to use when.

If you want a fully silent shutter and high frame rate with minimal rolling shutter effect then its going to cost you.

The sensor readout time (which is the important metric for rolling shutter) is getting progressively faster and recent cameras such as latest Olympus OM-D, FujiFilm X-T3/X-T4 and especially Sony A9 may meet your needs.

You also have to watch for banding effects with some types of artificial light using the electronic shutter for the same reason as rolling shutter.

Greybeard2017's gear list:Greybeard2017's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow