A few weeks with the ZV-1

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
markyboy81 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,930
A few weeks with the ZV-1

I've had the ZV-1 for a few weeks now after trading in my RX100V and thought I'd share some of my thoughts.

I'm not a Vlogger so have been using it mainly for video of family.

It's a little bit larger than the RX100V so I had to get a new case! However, the size is actually nice and the added grip really helps. Furthermore, it's actually quite comfortable to have one hand holding the flippy screen while it's out to the side - it seems to steady it quite nicely. It's good to have the record button on top as it's easier to start and stop videos.

In terms of video image quality, it's quite similar to the RX100V, but the addition of active steady in 4k mode is welcome, as is Eye AF, which actually works very well.

Sound quality is much improved compared to the RX100V, which was my main complaint with that camera. There's is also a mic jack but I'm actually happy enough with the inbuilt mics, and keep the windshield on - it works very well in windy conditions.

I thought that I would miss having the mode dial and the zoom ring but actually I don't. I usually only switch between A and S modes so it's not a big deal. The zoom ring was nice to have but on a small camera it can be a bit fiddly.

Battery life seems improved compared to the RX100V and I have yet to receive any overheating warnings. I tend to shoot small clips, so this was never much of an issue anyway.

Overall, it's a nice camera. The only thing I will miss is the inbuilt flash. Although I didn't use it much, it's always good to have - I'm on the look out for a small external flash but I'm not in a great hurry.

I'd be interested to hear some other opinions on this camera.

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony ZV-1 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow