HiFi-High Fidelity in Photography

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
saltydogstudios
saltydogstudios Senior Member • Posts: 2,201
Re: Nope

MediaArchivist wrote:

AutoFokus wrote:

High fidelity (often shortened to hi-fi or HiFi) is a term used by listeners, audiophiles and home audio enthusiasts to refer to high-quality reproduction of sound.

(by Wikipedia)

Reproduction of the sound as recorded. That recording involves many layers of mixes, filters, and even performances. Even a recording of a live performance depends on mixing many channels into two (or a few more if you are fancy).

There are some recordings that are done with just a binaural or x-y coincidence mic or similar. One of the early recordings to use this that I'm aware of is the Trinity Sessions by the Cowboy Junkies - recorded with a single soundfield mic in a church.

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/cowboy-junkies-sweet-jane

I think U2 would later go on to record in this same church.

HiFi in Photography: so this would mean in photography that the picture closely resembles reality.

No. It would involve printing, screen resolution, etc. Reproduction of the image as recorded.

I would agree with this. But you could attempt to reproduce reality as well - let's say a photo realistic enough to appear to be a window, if viewed from a stationary position. I mean heck - I saw the Tyrell building from Blade Runner and it was about 3 feet high. If movie magic can make me think a 3 foot model is a giant building, perhaps a photo could be real enough to make me think it was a window (at a glance).

But nowadays almost all pictures are;

- corrected / distorted / altered... and this is far away from reality.

Top 10 Artists Who Heavily Use Auto Tune

and so, today it is better to master PhotoShop than know how to make good pictures with good knowledge of Photo tehnology.

What do you think ?

Probably best to master both, and know where and when to focus your attention.

-- hide signature --
 saltydogstudios's gear list:saltydogstudios's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp3 Quattro Nikon D7000 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow