Is there a full review of the Nikon D6?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
LensWizard
LensWizard Senior Member • Posts: 1,336
Re: Is there a full review of the Nikon D6?

PerfectPoms wrote:

patricksmith32 wrote:

Yeah that’s absolutely crazy, 71k shutter count in such short time span. I’m a photojournalist and I don’t put anywhere near that amount, although I do put quite a bit more on my bodies usually. No sports right now and less breaking news has slowed my shooting down quite a bit. However I can’t ever remember putting those kinds of numbers on my cameras ever. I’ve definitely put 3,000+ shutter actuations per camera at certain sporting events, but never 142,000 in two months! At least your getting the most out of that D6, but boy that must hurt the resale value lol. That thing will need a shutter within one year of purchase, omg that’s crazy!

Most people really underestimate the life span of a Nikon shutter. Nikon quotes the shutter 'life' as a number that their shutters are 'tested to' - and in the case of the D5, D6, this is 400,000 shots, BUT - I think the AVERAGE shutter will break FAR higher than that number.

I've taken about 10 million photos on D-SLR's since about 2005, and broken about 9 shutters. My considerable experience suggests that the average shutter failure will occur somewhere around TWICE the number that Nikon says their shutters are 'tested to.'

For example, my first D-SLR, the D70, that was rated for 50,000 shots, gave me 400,000 shots and I broke the shutter 4 times.

My first D2hs shutter broke at, I think it was 732,000 shots, and the replacement shutter broke when I reached about 1,030,000 shots, and I was VERY disappointed when the camera came back with a shutter count reset to zero

There is a very prolific expert in these forums, who's been around very little lately, who used to take up to 10,000 photos on a weekend of figure skating tournies, who had her D5 shutter last to over a million.

I'm so confident in the long life of Nikon shutters, especially on the D3, D4, D5 and D6 series of cameras that I bought my third D5 used with a Shutter Count: 536,412 !!

I got a good deal on that used camera because almost everybody else assumed that with that shutter count the camera is on its last legs. Not so.

I have about 20 clicks on my new D6..:)  Should be good for sometime I bet..

-- hide signature --

Canon XLH1 Video, Profoto AcuteR2400, Eizo 27Inch CG277 Monitor, MSI GT80S Laptop, MSI Vortex G-65 Desktop, Wimberly Mk2 Head, Gitzo 5540LS Tripods (2), Arca Swiss Monoball Head, Macbook Pro 15inch Retna Display,Arca Swiss C1 Cube Head, Apple Mac Pro (6) Core 3.5GHZ Dual AMD700's

LensWizard's gear list:LensWizard's gear list
Leica SL2 Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Leica SL (Typ 601) +26 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow