Why don't cameras have internal storage?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NacMacFeegle
NacMacFeegle Regular Member • Posts: 312
Why don't cameras have internal storage?

I've been thinking about this lately, and I wouldn't it just make a ton of sense for cameras to have built in SSDs? You can get a super fast 1 terabyte NVME SSD for around $200 bucks or so. I'd certainly be willing to pay extra for a camera body if I didn't have to invest in expensive memory cards. You could even still have dual SD card slots for backup with the SSD being primary storage demanding video and burst shooting - that's dual or even triple redundancy!

Sure, it might ad extra bulk, but considering the overheating problems modern cameras are having, I think manufacturers should consider moving away from the model of shaving off every ounce possible at the cost of performance and ergonomics. Panasonic seems to have recognized this, and I'm really interested to see what they do with their next generation full frame cameras. This would be the perfect time to announce an S1H mark ii with R5 or A7S iii level features but in a full DSLR size format with a ton of internal storage and no overheating issues.

Canon EOS R5 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1H Sony a7S III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow