Options for Scanning 120 films ???

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Tomm111 Contributing Member • Posts: 724
Re: Epson vs. other options

peripheralfocus wrote:

Tomm111 wrote:

... I also use the Epson software, in Professional mode,

Yep, me too, and get good results with it. I spent a fair bit of time testing other scanning software and could not improve on what Epson Scan does, when used properly.

If you are going for a scanner an Epson V800 with the Better Scanning 120 holder would be the way to go, you can also wait for the Plustek.

I am not sure why you don't want to photograph the negatives, works well and I think it is sharper than a scanner with a digital camera and a good macro lens, even a 2nd hand one.

I think you may have conflated me with the OP, but I agree with you that the V800 with a Better Scanning holder is a good solution. Can't speak for the Plustek, having never come near one.

It was the OP who didn't want to do camera scanning.

I myself don't currently do it with medium format film because I have to really jump through hoops to surpass my V700. I have to shoot at least 3 separate 24-megapixel images of a 6x6 or 6x7 negative and stitch them together. That's a pain. I also don't have room to leave the rig set up all the time, so I have to assemble and re-align etc. every time I want to use it. Also a pain.

But, as I said, if had the space and money to dedicate a high-resolution camera with multi-shot capability (a Panasonic S1R, for example) to the job, along with a permanent copy stand set up, things would be different. Then I could beat my V700 with a single shot instead of stitching, and I wouldn't have a lot of set up and teardown work every time I wanted to scan. In that case, I would switch to camera scanning.

Tried to put too much in my post, meant for everyone.

I get really nice results from my Leica CL, really better than the scanner. Just started doing 120, well returning to 120. I am using my CL on an old Besselar slide copier, with 35 I can use the bellows, and an 80mm Scheider Componon, with 120 I have a copy stand and use the base of the duplicator, first tests were with a 40mm Makro Kilar, will have to try my 105 micro Nikkor too. Yes set up my copy stand, illumination base, my wife understands but it can't stay up too long.

Tomm111's gear list:Tomm111's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D300 Leica CL Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-T 23mm f/2 ASPH +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow