Options for Scanning 120 films ???

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
peripheralfocus Veteran Member • Posts: 4,556
Epson vs. other options

moimoi wrote:

Flat beds is an option (V600/V800/V850 series), but I would like to know whether there would be better options for scanning MF negatives / slide films.

If by "better" you mean higher quality scans, there's no doubt that a Nikon LS-9000, a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi, or an Imacon/Hasselblad Flextight scanner will outperform a consumer Epson flatbed. The possible drawbacks would be cost, computer compatibility, and repairability.

I don't know anything about the Braun and Plustek scanners you mentioned, but B&H Photo here in the U.S. shows the Braun in stock right now.

As of now, I'm using an Epson V700 with an aftermarket film holder from Better Scanning. It does a very credible job with medium format and larger negatives, if you take the time to carefully calibrate your system (get film holder height correct, and make sure your film is held flat). The calibration only needs to be done once, and then maybe verified occasionally. I also find the workflow tolerable, if somewhat slow-ish. There are also some lessons that must be learned about post-processing.

I've ordered drum scans and used some very good scanners (Imacons and LS-9000's), and also experimented extensively with camera scanning, so I have a pretty good idea of what a top-notch result looks like. You can get superior results with those methods, but not easily or cheaply, for medium format (Camera scanning is definitely superior to the Epson for 35mm negs.)

For me, for now, the V700 provides a reasonable level of quality and workflow efficiency. If the day comes when I have the money and space to permanently set up a high resolution camera with multi-shot capability on a copy stand, I'll probably switch to camera scanning for medium format. But that day is not here yet.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow