Othe roptions to consider

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Penny123 Regular Member • Posts: 381
Othe roptions to consider

I am just wondering if anyone has advice on a potential new camera.  I have been using a Nikon D810 for the last few years and on the whole its been a great camera, it's shutter gets a good work out as I do shoot in bursts frequently as I take many photos of my dog and 2 year old nephew.  At Christmas I got the dreaded Err message but resolved it by turning the camera off, taking the battery out and turning back on again.  On a separate occaision the aperture stuck at 2.8 and wouldn't change but that was one off.  I hadn't used my camera much at the start of the year but have been using it more again, a few times I have been getting the Err message and again resolve this by turning the camera on and off.  It does worry me how long this will continue before there is no way of resolving it.  I am due to go on holiday in a few weeks and depending on the weather the camera will get a good work out then but I do have a D700 I can take just in case.

It has been a while since I have looked into cameras and if the D810 were to stop working I am thinking I would probably just buy another camera rather than get it repaired.  The obvious move is the D850 but with mirrorless (that I know nothing about) and various other models I am just wondering if there is anything else I should be considering for the type of photos I take.

At the moment the main photos I am taking is of my 2 year old nephew, portraits if he stays still long enough and also him running about, these are all outdoor photos.  Portraits of my dog or general shots of her out and about.  I am trying to take action shots of her again but she is a whippet and very fast so good auto focus is important to be able to track such a erratic mover!  I want to start using the camera more for action shots while she is young and full of fun.  I also enjoy taking landscapes but admit in the last wee while have been a bit lazy in that regard but do love the D810 for the detail and I am going to be making more of an effort in that field again.  I do live in Scotland so the winters can be quite dull and if in woodland the light can be pretty poor, I really don't like using the 810 over iso 800 if wanting a really good photo.... not so much because of the noise but for example the colour of my nephews hair or dogs coat become much more difficult to process accurately, the colour quality drops.

I guess if I get a new camera I don't want to be taking a step back and miss some of what I get with the D810, Iam only a hobby photographer but do get a lot of enjoyment out of it and like everyone hope to get the best I can afford.  The only thing that puts me off the D850 is the extra pixels and reading about the need for a tripod, most of my photos are all hand held but surely if an image looks pin sharp on the D810 it should be sharp on the D850?  I just bough a load of extra memory cards last year to cover me on holiday but the 850 takes a different type.  It would also be beneficial to have a camera with better iso performance but by doing that I may miss out on some features that are even more beneficial.  I probably can't change camera system as I have the 24-70 vr, 70-200, 300 f4 already.

Sorry for the long post, basically what I am asking, is there something I should be looking into other the the D850 as a potential change of camera as it all gets quite confusing.

Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow