Rolling Shutter VS FPS confusion

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 20,786
Re: Rolling Shutter VS FPS confusion

With an electronic shutter, rolling shutter effects occur most frequently when you are panning the camera across a background with vertical lines in it.  Examples are racing cars or birds in flight in front of a building.  The vertical lines appear slanted.

In athletics, it will be a problem if you are panning to follow runners in, say, a 100m race, but it won't be a problem if you have the camera set up to catch them crossing the finishing line.  It also wouldn't be a problem if you are shooting a field event like the pole vault.

It shouldn't be a problem shooting dancers unless you are panning to follow them moving fast across the stage.  I suspect that more normally you won't be panning much.

In my experience, very high fps rates are only necessary when you are shooting high speed action and trying to capture a precise moment, for example the winner in a 100m race just reaching the tape, a baseball batter with the ball just hitting the bat, a headed goal in soccer or an eagle taking a fish out of the water.

Personally, I rarely go above 8-10 fps for my wildlife photography.  Even events like whale breaches don't require a high fps rate because they last 2-3 seconds and there isn' a "decisive" moment in the breach when you have to get the shot.  Dolphins leaping do require a very high fps rate because everything happens much faster.
--
Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow