Digital beginner (35mm amateur) asking for advice on the first camera

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
rurikw
rurikw Veteran Member • Posts: 3,126
Re: Digital beginner (35mm amateur) asking for advice on the first camera

D Cox wrote:

rurikw wrote:

I don't know which lenses you have but they will probably not all perform well on digital. Depends on your expectations. With APS-C or M4/3 you'd crop the likely soft edges away but the more tightly packed sensor isn't easy on the optics. My 50mm film lenses do fine on M4/3, all other focal lengths so-so or bad.

All of my lenses have given very good results on APS-C and on full frame, except for a 20mm Nikkor.

Nice to hear. So maybe mine can have a future too when and if I go FF.

The M4/3 cameras have a thicker cover glass over the sensor, which is a good thing in itself (it keeps the dust out of focus), but not good for use with simple adapters.

I have indeed wondered if that might be a problem. In that case better for the OP to avoid m43.

If in spite of the above, you feel attracted to FF, I've been looking at a Canon RP. Saw one for under 600€/$ on eBay. AFAIK among FF mirrorles only Canon has fully articulated screens which I consider important, particularly for macro, YMMV. Budget allowing you could get an adapter and build up an assortment of cheap but good DSLR lenses over the years.

He already has the lenses.

But at some point he might want to add some digital lenses.

rurikw's gear list:rurikw's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow