Digital beginner (35mm amateur) asking for advice on the first camera

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
David5833 Senior Member • Posts: 1,490
Re: Digital beginner (35mm amateur) asking for advice on the first camera

Poonis5 wrote:

...Olympus OM-D E-M10 mark II has this cool focus bracketing which is good for macro and isn't pricey

This makes a lot of sense if you can find one for a good price, you have obviously done some homework. The focus bracketing feature is pretty cool, as are many other features that are fun to play with, e.g. live composite. With a little ingenuity you can even use the pop-up flash for macro.

but we don't even know if Olympus will support their camera business any longer.

IMHO, this is a non-issue but the panic over it might help you find great bargains from foolish panic sellers.

And 2x crop makes most of my collection telephotos.

That is good!  For macro, get an adapter and a Raynox diopter lens for your adapted lenses, works best on a telephoto like a 150mm. Start with the DCR-150, maybe add the DCR-250 later. At some point you might be able to afford an Olympus 60mm macro, a superb lens, easily as good or better than any of my much more expensive full frame Nikon or Tamron macro lenses.

For general photography, the inexpensive Olympus kit zoom 14-42R II lens is surprisingly good and there are several other similar very good to excellent native lenses from Olympus, Panasonic and third-parties that you can find for cheap. I don't think you will be sorry.

David5833's gear list:David5833's gear list
Canon G9 X II Nikon D810 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Nikon D7500 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow