E-M1iii on its way

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
skysurfer5
skysurfer5 Contributing Member • Posts: 616
E-M1iii on its way

I ordered an E-M1iii body last night.  It is expected to arrive on Wednesday.

This will give me two Olympus OM-D bodies, following the E-M1ii I bought 16 months ago. As an amateur photographer, I don't need two bodies very often, but there are times when two are essential.*  So, after selling most of my FT gear several months ago, including two bodies, this was the next purchase in my MFT plan.  A fast prime or two and probably the upcoming 100-400 will make my system essentially complete.

The E-M1ii will be relegated to backup, which means I can loan it to my almost 12-year-old granddaughter once in a while.  She has my wife's old E-P1 but after handling my E-M1ii and her mom's new E-M1iii, she is blown away by the speed and handling differences.

BTW, between my wife and me, my three kids, my daughter-in-law, and my oldest granddaughter, we will have two E-M1iii bodies, one E-M1ii body, one E-M5iii body, two E-PL9 bodies, one E-PL8 body, one E-PL5 body, one E-PL3 body (needs a repair), and one E-P1 body, and at least two dozen lenses.  I'm sorry this wasn't enough to refloat Oly's camera business. 

* For about 20 years I have done simple astrophotography, including the Sun (with solar filter), the Moon, star trails, and wide field imaging.  (I don't have the time or patience for high-end astrophotography.)  For years, I used my OM-1N and OM-4T simultaneously, with one on a tripod  doing star trails (my max is 5 hours) and one doing either wide field (piggybacked on an equatorially mounted telescope) or prime focus.  I used my E-1 and E-5 a few times like this (the E-1 was fine for the Sun and Moon, but produced garish noise for long exposures).  Now, I will be able to use two cameras again, with one of the E-M1s on the telescope (piggybacked or prime focus) and the other on a tripod doing LiveComp star trails.  I bought the E-M1iii now because next week is the Perseid Meteor Shower and I wanted to use two cameras for this.  I will be camping at 8200 feet in the Sierra Nevada east of Fresno at a spot our astronomy club has used for many years.

-- hide signature --

'Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?'
…Winston S. Churchill

skysurfer5's gear list:skysurfer5's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +15 more
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-PL8 Olympus E-PL9 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow