Video Autofocus Technique Question

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MarshallA New Member • Posts: 17
Video Autofocus Technique Question

Hey all, I have a Z7 which I mostly use for landscape. Recently I've been trying to learn more about the other features including exploring video quite a bit.

I'm confused about how face tracking in video works. I use back-button autofocus normally, so I'm using that now in video mode too. When I'm in auto-area, with face tracking and eye tracking enabled (I realize eye tracking doesn't work in video) I see the box around my subjects face, moving with the face as expected. However, the camera doesn't actually focus on the face unless I press af-on.

So, to keep a face in focus while the subject is moving around, I need the camera in af-c mode and to keep the back button autofocus engaged (by physically holding down the af-on button in this case).

I had the impression from many YouTube videos that the point of face detection in video is that the system would track the face and keep it in focus at all times, automatically. So, for most talking head type videos, I was given to understand that the presenters put their cameras in face tracking mode (or eye tracking if they have that in video) and stuck the camera on a tripod, then moved in front of the camera and recorded their video and the camera would stick to their face the whole time (even if they moved a bit given a shallow depth of field). But how is this possible if nobody is continuing to hold the af-on button down in that case?

I am clearly missing something fundamental here 

Video is a whole new world, thats for sure! But, I'm enjoying learning about and using some of the other aspects of my camera.

Thanks for any advice guys!

Marshall

ANSWER:
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow