Wait for Ryzen 4000?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,723
Re: Wait for Ryzen 4000?

tkbslc wrote:

I have been putting off upgrading my system for years now. I'm still running an O.C. i5-3570K.

I finally decided 2020 was the year. But this spring, parts were hard to come by. So here I am mid summer and parts are available and I have the money to upgrade. But now I hear rumblings of Ryzen 4000 around the corner.

Part of me says just buy it as Ryzen 3000 series has been discounted and is plenty fast. Part of me says I waited 7-8 years, what's 2-3 more months?

Probably looking at a 3700X and 1660 Super if I go now.

Who knows?  I was in the same position a month ago and went Ryzen 3900X and X570 motherboard because:

• The 3900X is cheaper than equivalent Intel processors (and includes a fan and heatsink, which the unlocked Intel's don't have)
  • For Lightroom, Puget rate it higher than Intel

It seems that higher performance or next generation were going to be significantly more expensive.  And the 3900X with 24 processors zips along in Lightroom compared to my previous overclocked Skylake i7-6700K with "only" 8 processors.  It seems that LR now uses lots of cores for background tasks (building previews and exporting) which seemed to bog down my previous system.

But there will always be something better next month...

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow