Struggling to understand/practice composition

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
barbara j Regular Member • Posts: 354
Re: Struggling to understand/practice composition

PerAE wrote:

Hi,

I’m new to this photography thing (besides using my phone) and I’m having a hard time understanding how to compose my photos in a good way. There’s a tendency to put the subjects smack in the middle when I look at my photos. Not in all of them, but a lot.

I probably learned the most about composition when I started cropping my images. As I began to crop different ways, I started to learn how I liked images arranged. That's all that counts in the end, does it look good to you.

I still find something I missed when cropping for social. Sometimes I will go back and reshoot the location with the crop in mind. Then I find the low slung wires across the scene that forced me to shoot too far to the left in the first place. But sometimes, if the light is right, and the wind is coming in from my shoulder, I get what I came back forĀ 

-- hide signature --

@luredbylight

barbara j's gear list:barbara j's gear list
Canon EOS M3 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow