Why shoot studio with super low apertures?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
alexportrait Forum Member • Posts: 66
Why shoot studio with super low apertures?

Hi all! Honest question here.

This week I was part of a photoshoot, just not as the photographer. The photog had an incredible setup with all Profoto lightening, medium format cameras with Hasselblad lenses and Phase One parts, all that.

I couldn't help but notice he was shooting at f/13, while having lots of lights on full power. I just wonder.. why. It feels like some kind of old school technique, photographers I've met before in his "style" per say also do the same.

When I shoot studio, and other photographers in my style that I know of, what I tend to do is use an aperture of 4 or 5 and then I don't have to use my strobes in full power, which helps a lot with recycling time. I use Godox battery powered ones so it also helps not drain the battery so quick. I would probably have to use full power to go to an aperture of 13. Sometimes I even shoot at 2.8 if it allows me to keep details and I want more extreme DOF, and reduce the power of my strobes even more.

As far as I know my lenses optimal aperture for maximum quality is also around 4-8.

Bottom line is: why use f/13 and flashes at full power if you can save some energy and have better quality at a 5-8 aperture? Sorry if it's a stupid question

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow