Struggling to understand/practice composition

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
CptAmerica
CptAmerica Senior Member • Posts: 1,046
Re: Struggling to understand/practice composition

Another thing to look out for, is how far away you subject is placed from the edge of the picture. It's ok to leave spacing. It's ok to crop so tight that things are totally off the edge. Where you can create unwanted tension, is if you crop a picture so the edge of your subject directly lines up with the edge of the picture. Try to avoid that. If you see that, try cropping wider or tighter. Try and find a picture of a portrait where the top of the head DIRECTLY sits up against the edge of the picture, and you will see what I'm talking about. Notice that on the sample of my boy I presented I cropped tight enough where some of the top of the head was all the way out, to get closer to the eyes. Slightly wider and the shot wouldn't have worked because the top plane of his head would match the top plane of the image edge... unwanted tension.

Again, there are always exceptions... always. And these observations are ALWAYS subjective.

CptAmerica's gear list:CptAmerica's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow