Rolling Shutter VS FPS confusion

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 56,264
Re: Rolling Shutter VS FPS confusion

Currantos wrote:

Thank you.

On stage can't use flash, and usually with dancers flash is not possible, unless it is "staged shots". What I mean is live performance where they have to be naturally lit. Is it ok to use electronic shutter or only with A9 Sony? Others too slow?

I don't know.  My mechanical shutter transits the full frame in 1/400th of a second.  I don't know what the fastest progressive shutters in consumer cameras do.

Same thing with athletes, I am not going to be able to use flash in a stadium or on a field track where I am shooting with a 200/300mm lens from the sidelines.

No experience here with MILC so maybe I am not explaining properly.

No, you explained it right.  I gave you the reasons why each can be objectionable.

I've found very few (but not zero) instances where 1/400th was not fast enough to avoid noticeable skew, but those were in things way faster than dancers and runners.  I'm guessing e-shutters are more typically in the 1/60th to 1/120th range, but I don't really know.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow