MFT for Gig Jobs

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
HoyPhoto New Member • Posts: 4
MFT for Gig Jobs

With the COVID-19 thing and the economy being what it is, I've been seeing some postings on Craigslist for photography gig economy jobs and since I'm currently un-/under-employed I thought that might be something worth looking into.

The two most recent services that I've seen advertise for local shooters are for real estate and food photography shoots. My current kit Olympus E-M1 MkII and a good variety of PRO-level lenses should be sufficient for both these jobs (although I don't currently own a wide-enough angle lens for the real estate photos--I'd probably end up buying the 7-14mm Oly lens if I could get the work). The sticking point is that both require "Full-frame or APS-C" sensor cameras.

My understanding is the two "advantages" to larger sensor sizes is that you generally get a shallower depth of field at wider f/stops and that they perform better in low-light conditions.

Neither of these "advantages" seem especially pertinent to real estate or food photography. Nor are they difficult to overcome with bright LED lighting, multiple flashes or other techniques.

For the real estate gigs, the video walkthroughs would be better quality with the Olympus if that recent 4-camera Youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWEI_hLZAyE&t=307s) on IBIS is any indication.

Does anyone have any experience and/or advice overcoming this sort of sensor-size bias? Is it even worth putting together work samples and and applying for these sorts of jobs? Or will they just see "Olympus" and send to the trash bin?

HoyPhoto's gear list:HoyPhoto's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow