Blurring water (slow shutter) -- I did it!!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Merlin5 Regular Member • Posts: 207
Re: Blurring water (slow shutter) -- I did it!!

JustUs7 wrote:

15 seconds isn't 'needed'. It can be fun to play with and considering the relatively low volume of the falls I was at - longer certainly enhances the effect.

If you look at Tourlou's photo's - that's a very high volume of water moving very fast. How far does the water move in 1 second? The water is blurred over that distance. Consider how Niagara Falls looks at any shutter speed. A lot of water moving fast is going to blur. When you're dealing with a trickle of water or a lower volume, generally a slower shutter speed will be needed. In the OP's fountain - you have droplets spraying from a fountain. If you opened up a fire hydrant, it would look very different. Notice, also, that Tourlou stepped down to f/16 in the sunny first image to get that 1 second exposure without blowing highlights.

Unfiltered with slower shutter speeds, you run up against exposure limitations. Too much light will blow out highlights with white water.

Edit: Thinking about it - a polarizing filter might add 1 stop? I really don't know. ND's come in various 'strengths'. just consider each darker sunglasses for the camera. Common ones are 3-stop, 6-stop, and 10-stop. you can stack them too.

Thanks, that's a great explanation.

Merlin5's gear list:Merlin5's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow