Wondering what's going on with this image file and Chrome

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 17,441
Wondering what's going on with this image file and Chrome

I came across something odd in another thread about an image as displayed by Chrome on Win10. Nobody is following up there, so I'm now asking here. This is the image borrowed from that thread:

The original image (seen by clicking View: original size) displays incorrectly in Chrome running on my Win10 machine. Its tonal range appears to be limited. I don't know why.

The reduced size inline version looks okay in the browser, as does the original version when it's downloaded and viewed with something like Photoshop or Windows Photo Viewer.

Here's a screen capture of the inline version in its own Chrome window on the left, and the full size version in its own Chrome window on the right:

View: original size

Instead of the patches running from 255,255,255 to 0,0,0 they only run from 188,188,188 to 6,6,6.

The other odd thing is that when I save these files, the Save dialog requires them to be saved as PNGs although DPR identifies them as JPEGs.

Also, all the same stuff happens when I use a Chromebook.

Is anyone else seeing the same thing ... and if so, who would like to explain why? Are they really JPEGs and some color management issue in my systems is causing a problem?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow