Wacom Cintiq vs Wacom Tablet and what size for photo retouching

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Digitalshooter2 Contributing Member • Posts: 790
Re: Wacom Cintiq vs Wacom Tablet and what size for photo retouching

gscotten wrote:

Digitalshooter2 wrote:

How important is it to have two monitors for photo editing? Currently i have one NEC multisynch 24 inch 2K monitor. I was thinking about moving to 4k 32 inch monitor.

I would vote for two monitors. I have three 24" 16:10 monitors. Assuming yours is the same ratio, two 24" give you 522 sq in of area. A 32" monitor only gives you 438 sq in, and most 32 4k monitors are actually only 31.5". So you would have more real estate with the two 24", albeit at a lower resolution.

You are going to size each window on your display to about the same size for viewing, regardless of the resolution, so the actual screen area seems more important to me. Multiple screens also make it easy to pop a window up to full-screen on one of the monitors so you can still see the other windows. On the larger monitor you would have to manually resize it instead.

On a 32" if you have two photo windows open side by side, each window can only be 14" wide by 15.7" tall vs 20.5 x 12.75 on the 24". If you work mostly with square or vertical images, that might not be an issue. For me, if I am working with verticals, I rotate my third monitor to landscape and have 20.5" of vertical.

Most modern photo software supports multiple monitors, and Windows handles them seamlessly.

My suggestion would be to get the 32" and keep the 24". If you can spare the desk space, you will get the best of both. You won't get a lot for your old 24" monitor if you sell it anyway.

George

Very well explained. Makes good sense. Thanks.

My 24 inch is 2K. New monitor I am thinking about is 4K. Would resolution difference create any challenges?

-- hide signature --

2ShootDigital

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow