Blurring water (slow shutter) -- I did it!!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
JustUs7 Contributing Member • Posts: 880
Re: Blurring water (slow shutter) -- I did it!!

Merlin5 wrote:

Thanks, and beautiful photos! I don't know how many stops my filter blocks, it's a Hoya Pro 1 52mm and I use a step up ring with it. But I'll experiment as you suggested starting at f9 in aperture priority and work from there.

I still don't get how Tourlou got those images with only 1 second shutter speed. You've demonstrated at least 15 seconds is needed for that type of effect.

15 seconds isn't 'needed'. It can be fun to play with and considering the relatively low volume of the falls I was at - longer certainly enhances the effect.

If you look at Tourlou's photo's - that's a very high volume of water moving very fast. How far does the water move in 1 second? The water is blurred over that distance. Consider how Niagara Falls looks at any shutter speed. A lot of water moving fast is going to blur. When you're dealing with a trickle of water or a lower volume, generally a slower shutter speed will be needed. In the OP's fountain - you have droplets spraying from a fountain. If you opened up a fire hydrant, it would look very different. Notice, also, that Tourlou stepped down to f/16 in the sunny first image to get that 1 second exposure without blowing highlights.

Unfiltered with slower shutter speeds, you run up against exposure limitations. Too much light will blow out highlights with white water.

Edit:  Thinking about it - a polarizing filter might add 1 stop?  I really don't know.  ND's come in various 'strengths'.  just consider each darker sunglasses for the camera.  Common ones are 3-stop, 6-stop, and 10-stop.  you can stack them too.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow