Blurring water (slow shutter) -- I did it!!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Merlin5 Regular Member • Posts: 212
Re: Blurring water (slow shutter) -- I did it!!

JustUs7 wrote:

Merlin5 wrote:

Nice one Butch. I've been meaning to try this too, just need to find a waterfall.

JustUs7 wrote:

I remember practicing this at the kitchen sink just running the faucet when we got our first DSLR.

I finally got an ND filter this year and got to use it on some hikes. I also picked up a remote trigger to plug into the camera. Saves my phone battery from the app! Was able to do some really long (one was over four minutes) exposure with the filter on. A fun toy to have!

EXIF says "30 seconds". It was in "Bulb" mode and open for over 4 minutes. Don't know why the full shutter speed never shows longer than 30 seconds in here.

How come Tourlou got creamy white water with only 1 second shutter speed and yours is 4 minutes shutter speed?

I've got a polarising filter for my 50mm lens, will that work the same as an ND filter? I like your idea about practising with the kitchen tap, I'll try that.

The only filter I have is a 10 stop ND filter. That means I need 10 stops more light than I would unfiltered for the same exposure.

In this circumstance, I was in the woods down an embankment and rain showers were moving in - so very cloudy. Unfiltered at ISO 100 at f/9 was already calling for 15 seconds in Aperture Priority. More than enough for the effect, but I wanted to play with my toys. I have a long exposure calculator app on my phone. 10 stops slower than 15 seconds is 4:16.

It's really meant for bright light where you want to blur water or clouds but light is forcing 1/1000 shutter speed. A 10 stop will allow you to shoot at 1 second without blowing highlights.

I took another one with more light that “only” needed 52 seconds filtered (3 seconds unfiltered).

With your polarizing filter, you’ll want to know how many stops of light the filter blocks. Or, rather than shoot in Shutter Priority, shoot in Aperture Priority. Set a very small f-stop like f/9 or smaller. Set the ISO at 100. Let the camera pick the appropriate shutter speed. For a longer shutter speed, pick a smaller f-stop (try 11, then 16, or whatever). Throw the filter on and see if it calculates a longer shutter speed at the same f-stop and ISO.

Thanks, and beautiful photos! I don't know how many stops my filter blocks, it's a Hoya Pro 1 52mm and I use a step up ring with it. But I'll experiment as you suggested starting at f9 in aperture priority and work from there.

I still don't get how Tourlou got those images with only 1 second shutter speed. You've demonstrated at least 15 seconds is needed for that type of effect.

Merlin5's gear list:Merlin5's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow