XPro3 Screen Design - Long Term Assessment

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CDJM Forum Member • Posts: 74
XPro3 Screen Design - Long Term Assessment

I purchased the Xpro3 at launch. I also upgraded my X100F to a V a few weeks ago, and have been using both interchangeably in that time.

Contrasting the use of the two cameras - used mostly in an urban photography setting - I vastly prefer the ergonomics and practical usability of XPro screen design 99 times out of 100.

Why?

First - the screen stays out of the way unless I want to use it. This isn’t something I need to program into a function button - it’s core to the design. I almost never ever want a screen showing as I’m walking down a street at night - or day for that matter. I can turn off the X100V screen using a sequence of button pushes, but it’s not nearly as elegant or fluid. I also appreciate the intrinsic ruggedness of this design - I toss the XPro 3 into a messenger bag with no hesitation.

Second - when I want to use the screen, I almost always want to use it while holding the camera below eye level. Either for waist shooting, reviewing images, or very occasionally changing settings.

For such cases - the XPro screen Is drastically better than the 2-movement design on the X100V or Sony screens I’m used to. On the Xpro3 - It’s a single simple and fluid movement to engage or disengage the screen. It just works exactly how I want it to. The standard design of the X100V is clunky and slow in comparison.

Third - if I (very rarely) want to use the screen away from body and closer to eye level - the XPro screen works much better than expected. I end up palming the screen in this case and it’s surprisingly ergonomic. This statement applies only to horizontal orientation. In vertical use, it’s certainly more clunky.

I absolutely can see how the Fuji engineers arrived at this design. For street photography it’s brilliant. The appeal for me has nothing to do with ‘chimping’ as I can do as much of that as would want on the EVF or by flipping the screen. It’s a preference due to pure practicality.

I can see how this screen design would be much less optimal for many use cases - videography in general, heavy tripod use, and fashion model photography come to mind. Anything where you’re most often not using the viewfinder and need a screen near eye-level most of the time.

But for street and reportage - it’s brilliant.

I will really miss this screen design when it inevitably gets dropped on the next version.

CDJM's gear list:CDJM's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony a9 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-Pro3 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +17 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100F Leica X1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow