Distortion vertical objects rolling shutter a9

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Magnar W
Magnar W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,011
You probably are right! Test shots posted here!

On forums we sometimes think we are right when answering or commenting, but doing some quick research might make us change our mind.

Your photographs and comments made me do a pretty simple test to find out how the electronic shutter in my A7rIII handles panning. And guess what: With electronic shutter (ES), the tilting effect is insane - just as expected with such low readout speed.

If we look at the ES results here, and try to reduce the angle so that it fit the A9 readout speed, I woult think some tiliting defect would be seen with your camera too when panning. Note the flat top on the tilted poles. I can clearly observe the same in one of the photos you first posted.

Just a few notes on my test:

• I went for a test scene with a visible horizon line for better control
  • I took a reference shot with static camera
  • It is very hard to pan with excactly the same speed
  • Even mechanical shutter show slight tilting defect, less so with electronic first shutter curtain, but this is probably due to some slower panning speed

Here are my quick and dirty results:

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow