Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
57even Forum Pro • Posts: 14,655
Re: show us some images

Donald B wrote:

threw the lens wrote:

Donald B wrote:

57even wrote:

Donald B wrote:

You have all lost the plot. show us some images in the middle of the day taken with both cameras. These graphs and charts are all just a con my marketing companies.

The charts are produced independently by Bill Claff, not by manufacturers. I have never seen a chart for DR from any manufacturer.

There is no chance in the world a sensor 1/4 size can come even close. Video ? go shoot some video and you will fall off your chair at the difference between sensor size.

The technology employed by the sensor is at least as important as its size. Canon's previous gen sensors didn't use low noise on-chip ADCs, hence the high read noise in the shadows.

The R5 and R6 now use the same tech that Sony introduced in 2010, so the DR is a lot better. Comparable to Sony sensors.

The problem Im seeing with the DR tests is that you never see whats in the middle only the extremes based on guessing noise quality, I would like to see actual real life shadowed colour reproduction scales ,that will sort out these desktop tests graphs.

Funny you should say that, the worst ILCs I've seen for holding colour and image quality at low exposure values were your beloved m4/3. Not surprising that they took short cuts to compete with the bigger sensors. Now they use Sony sensors they don't cheat as much but it also means they are just inferior versions of big Sony sensors because they're a quarter of the size unfortunately.

+1, I dont think its the total sensor size either ,but the pixel size , because the crop mode on the sony still holds the exact colour at pixel level. even cropped to 1/4 the size its still retains colour. the smaller pixel cant capture the colour in the first place.

You are talking about signal to noise ratio not dynamic range, in which case its total sensor area that matters. This is shown by the ISO tests in the first half of the video where the RP clearly wins.

But DR is not related to mid-tone SNR, it's the ratio between signal at saturation and the minimum signal threshold. This is mostly dependent on sensor technology.

RP uses old tech with high readout noise, so DR is poor.

So, perhaps you need to get your definitions straight.

-- hide signature --

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow