Why not use the GH5S sensor in a mid or high-range body? Why no G9S or G95S

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DutchBoy17 Junior Member • Posts: 48
Why not use the GH5S sensor in a mid or high-range body? Why no G9S or G95S

I'm curious why Panasonic hasn't tried to use the bigger-pixel multi-aspect sensor of the GH5S in a stills body. Personally: no still that I capture and process gets displayed at anything beyond 4K, and usually they're viewed at simply at HD. Given what it must take for Panasonic to build the GH5S, which seems quite competitive as a 4K video capture device, why not leverage aspects of that capture architecture, engineering, and manufacturing to build a lower-resolution still-capture body that has a stills-capture bias (e.g. IBIS).

Regarding Panasonic's willingness to experiment: as a GM1/GM5 owner I realize that particular value proposition failed in the market place, but Panasonic at least did a two-model experiment before they redirected the line into the GX850, which in turn seems to have influenced the GX9, so it seems they got some commercial benefit out of it. Given the success of the GH line, why haven't they at least tested the market with a stills-oriented version of the GH architecture?

I recently replaced all my Fuji gear with a small Nikon Z6 kit for use alongside my m4/3 gear, and I'm extremely pleased by the IQ of an FX sensor with a lower resolution (i.e. vs the Z7). Mind you the Z6 plus lenses are far more of a burden to pack and carry than an m4/3 kit. Meanwhile at the same time I also replaced all my non-GM Panasonic bodies with a G9. In working with my G9 images I can't help but notice I end up doing much more PP work with my G9 images than with those from the Z6. I know there are many reasons for this, but I can't help but think that pixel size is part of it. Thus, I can't help but wonder what would come from a larger-pixel more-modern m4/3-sensor stills body from Panasonic.

Either Panasonic abandons m4/3 for the L-mount entirely, or they find ways to keep the m4/3 platform competitive. Why not try a G9S based on the GH5S sensor?

Thoughts?

DutchBoy17's gear list:DutchBoy17's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Fujifilm X100F Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 +8 more
Nikon Z6 Panasonic GH5S Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow