Future Olympus warranty considerations

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
wallythacker Junior Member • Posts: 32
Future Olympus warranty considerations

An interesting thing occurred recently in Toronto. We have an online free buy & sell called Kijiji (owned by ebay) that recently had a fair bit of NIB Olympus gear, surprisingly more than a couple of the EM1Mx. The buyer stated they were brand new, bought but only used to verify it worked, then boxed up again.

I think a new EM1M1x is about $3500 CDN and the used ones were priced @ $2800-3200.

This week another party posted a heads up telling everyone the Olympus gear the first guy was selling were warranty returns that Olympus deemed weren't worth diagnosing and repairing. He went on to say you might get a reasonable unit or get burned so it might be worth checking before you write it off. Apparently the guy selling the stuff had access to large quantities of gear.

I have no further knowledge about the situation but it did get me thinking there might be large quantities of Olympus gear hitting retail outlets/ebay/fleamarkets the closer we get to 2021 and possibly a huge influx after the sale to JIP.

To maximize any investment JIP might be inclined to put anything in the supply chain hoping it would work well enough to keep a buyer happy until the warranty was over. I think personally I'll be putting any new Olympus purchases on hold until there's consensus that everything in the supply chain is top grade.

Olympus E-M1 MkI, Olympus E-M1 MkI, E-M5 MkI, E-M5 MkI, Lumix G3,  Iumix 14/2.5, 25/1.7, 7Artisans 25/1.8, Olympus 45/1.8, OM 50/1.7
Olympus 9-18, 12-40 Pro, 12-50, 14-42, 14-150
Lumix 12-32, 45-150
Pentax adapted K mount, 28/2.8, 50/1.7, 135/3.5
Contax adapted mount, Zeiss 45/2.8, 50/1.4

wallythacker's gear list:wallythacker's gear list
Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Pentax K-50 +23 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow