A1000: Karting on the Xitaihu DS Circuit, Changzhou

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Booted Cat
OP Booted Cat Senior Member • Posts: 1,042
Re: Close-up shots!

WPMChan wrote:

Booted Cat wrote:

I just recovered these close-up shots, although blurry at 100% as the karts were driving fast.

These were taken when I was outside the perimeter of the circuit, so 500mm was used. Later I entered the circuit and came very close to the track and could actually take close-up shots of the karts at 24mm, but then the fast drivers quit and subsequent games were slow and no fun at all so I didn't photograph any more.

Interesting. The Kart didn't seem to be that fast. Your two photos were taken 8 seconds apart. I suspect that this type of kart can travel up to 50 kph. At that speed, it should have travelled some 100 m. It certainly doesn't seem to have travelled that far.

Note these are two different karts...

Your shutter speed was 1/360 sec. I don't think you had motion blur.

I suspect that it was a hot sunny day and the rising heat from the tarmac had reduced the sharpness.

It might be slightly out of focus as well. Which focus mode did you use, AF-S or AF-F?

I used PRE-AF and pushed the shutter-release button as soon as the kart showed up in the frame.

The focus speed of the A1000 is not that great. If you use AF-S, by the time the focus was locked, the kart would have travelled quite a bit closer to you. Your f 6.3 would not have enough DOF to keep the kart in focus.

Booted Cat's gear list:Booted Cat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon PowerShot SX740 HS Nikon Coolpix A1000
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow