What inexpensive telephoto lens?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 28,010
Correct....

acfo wrote:

wb2trf wrote:

If you see the above post "not looking so good" you'll see what happens when I try that. The e-m10 plus the Canon 300mm does not materially outperform the Canon SX-50 superzoom in terms of resolved detail.

There is a theory from another post that the Oly 300 would look enough better than the Canon FD 300mm to make the whole effort worthwhile, but I'm skeptical. The reason I'm skeptical is that I happen to have a Sony A6000 and its own Sony 55-210mm consumer grade AF zoom. The Canon FD 300mm, which is a zoom, set at 210mm has optical performance at least as good as the Sony at 210mm. I've done those tests too. So I'm not confident that the 300mm Oly will give so much better performance than I'm seeing with the Canon SX-50, enough to justify buying the Oly 300mm. Make sense?

BTW the Oly om-d em10 III is a nice little camera and its been fun to play around with even if my ambitions for it are a little overblown.

With legacy glass I've found that stopping down improves the image quality. The image you posted also shows some other problems (CA?) which modern lenses correct with coatings or in body processing.

Imho your Sony and your em10 are sufficiently equal. If you're not getting fairly similar optical performance from both cameras then something is off.

This is true and I should have mentioned it.  With legacy glass you will have to do some things in PP that your camera automatically does with a modern native lens.

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow