Audiophiles Love Tubes Why Don't We?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Sympa Senior Member • Posts: 2,402
Re: Audiophiles Love Tubes Why Don't We?

I personally think audio signal storage and amplification is a largely solved problem. And a lot of audiophile stuff is - how do I phrase this nicely - not made to be better, but sold to those who want the best.

I remember an amplifier design which was build entirely "without resistors in the signal chain". You know, resistors, you do not want any resistance in your sound, do you?

And an A/B comparison demo where audio recording was not allowed. Why? Because a standard trick is to have the sound level a tad higher on the system that must be promoted. And this is easy enough to figure out from a recording.

Anyway, we photographers are subject to the same kind of gadgetry and wishes. At the same time, a lens is more like a microphone than a signal processing chain. A microphone signal to an amplifier output can be fully measured and characterized as signal values over time. A bit like storing a raw file, mangling it with compression, or even transforming it to a sharpened output image.

But a lens - like a microphone - accepts input for a single pixel from different locations and directions. Some wanted - but the balance matters. That gives you 'bokeh', or with a microphone likely 'tonality'. And some unwanted. In a lens that would be 'blur' and 'glare'.

For a microphone, linearity on the single measured value is very important. Different ways to be nonlinear affect the sound very fundamentally. While in photography we apply crazy curves anyway, and a lens cannot even be nonlinear in the amount of light it transmits...

Sympa's gear list:Sympa's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow