Is the 16-50 kit lens decent when stopped down?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
OP math guy Senior Member • Posts: 2,604
Re: Is the 16-50 kit lens decent when stopped down?

Max5150 wrote:

Not sure I agree. I have a A6600 and the 16-50 kit lens. I use it periodically to keep things small. I'm not a pixel peeper but I like sharp pictures! The 16-50 is okay when there's plenty of light. However, you're talking about landscapes. I'm just not sure I'd be totally happy with that lens. Given the choice between my A6600 and my Olympus EM5.iii or my EM1.iii and a cheap Olympus 15-150 I think I'd take the Olympus. Stick the Olympus 12-40 f2.8 on there and it's no contest, and the EM5.iii with that lens is probably the same weight.

I think I'm sold on Sony for the AF and f/2.8 tele zoom, since sports shooting is my primary objective in the new camera. I definitely have a positive opinion of Olympus, but when looking at options this week it seemed like Sony is a better choice for fast action shooting.

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.
If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. ~ Albert Einstein

math guy's gear list:math guy's gear list
Pentax K-50 Sony a6400 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow