Leibovitz attacked for not photographing someone right

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Mark_A
Mark_A Forum Pro • Posts: 16,071
Re: What Does Simone Biles Say?

Bill Ferris wrote:

The first thought that came to mind when I saw the cover photo was, she is one strong black woman. That portrait presents Simone Biles as strong, beautiful, powerful. I see elements of classic Renaissance sculpture in the pose, the way the lighting elegantly highlights her physique and I love the added touch of the fan blowing her hair. Biles looks equally strong, elegant, powerful, lovely and absolutely formidable in the cover photo. That is clearly a woman who is justifiably proud of who she is and what she has accomplished.

I also like the photo. I don't really understand the complaint unless it is just that a black photographer should have taken the images.

But they got Leibovitz, a famous portraitist, can't complain really.

My guess is Simone Biles loves that portrait and the imagery it evokes. Either way, I'd like to hear her thoughts on the experience of being photographed by one of the world's most celebrated portrait artists. Was she excited to learn Leibovitz was going to do the shoot? What was it like working with Leibovitz? I'd like to know which are her favorite photos from the shoot.

Frankly, if Biles is happy - if she loves the photos - who cares what the critics say?

Hmm.

Mark_A
A thread of photos from SmartPhones ..
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64212858

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow