What inexpensive telephoto lens?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
WhiteBeard
WhiteBeard Senior Member • Posts: 2,883
Re: What inexpensive telephoto lens?

wb2trf wrote:

I didn't know about the rumored soon 100-400mm. That's very interesting if not too big. A 600mm eq fov is sort of minimum, I think, for my uses, so I'll try out my 300mm (as soon as the adapter comes in) and then see about this new lens.

Thanks for the info.

The new 100-400 Oly lens is bigger, heavier and costlier than the already big, heavy and costly Pana-Leica 100-400. From what you said, it's definitely not for you - yet.

Your two suggestions (Oly 75-300 and Pana 100-300) make more sense. From the pics I have seen or made myself, I think the 100-300 has the edge on IQ over the 75-300. It also has Power OIS (Mk II version, the original has the less efficient and older Mega OIS) which means that on a Oly body you can choose between either the Oly IBIS or the lens OIS which is optimized for a long tele. The Lumix (Mk II version) is also weather resistant, which is not an issue with the non-WR E-M10  but may eventually be if ever you choose to upgrade in the µ4/3 system. Both lenses can also be found used.

WhiteBeard's gear list:WhiteBeard's gear list
Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow