Comet NEOWISE and the Milky Way with an iPhone 11 and Pixel 4

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
slphoto Forum Member • Posts: 82
Comet NEOWISE and the Milky Way with an iPhone 11 and Pixel 4

Since I don't have any better camera, I borrowed an iPhone 11 and Pixel 4 and went out to a park last Saturday to take photos of Comet NEOWISE and the Milky Way. I think last weekend may have been a bit late for the comet, based on the other Pixel 4 photos that I saw posted online. I couldn't see the comet at all with my naked eye, and it was pretty faint using binoculars.

I took fewer photos with the iPhone 11 because the photos were lower quality. I noticed in the Night Mode, sometimes it would let me select a maximum shutter speed of 30 seconds, but other times, it would only let me select a maximum shutter speed of 10 seconds for some reason. And for some reason, the EXIF data on all of the iPhone 11 photos have a shutter speed value of 1 second even though I know it was either 10 or 30 seconds.

Here's an attempt with the iPhone 11 to capture Comet NEOWISE. It couldn't get it.

Here's the Milky Way with the iPhone 11:

The Pixel 4 did better with its astrophotography mode. Unfortunately the EXIF data for the Pixel 4 photos all have a shutter speed of 16 seconds even if the total exposure time was 4 minutes. And for some reason, sometimes the Pixel 4 would only give me a maximum exposure time of 3 minutes instead of 4 minutes. All of these photos should be 4 minutes.

Here's the Milky Way with the Pixel 4:

Here's Comet NEOWISE with the Pixel 4:

Here's a low quality shot of the Milky Way with the Pixel 4 - not sure what happened here:

Here's a better quality shot, much better than the iPhone 11:

Here's another photo of Comet NEOWISE with the Pixel 4:

Here's a lower quality shot with the Pixel 4 - not sure what happened here:

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow